Monday, March 03, 2008

Livin' & dyin' in New Orleans

Per capita, New Orleans had more murders last year than any other American city with 209 homicides, a nearly 30 percent increase from the 161 recorded in 2006. New Orleans' population is thought to be 295,450, which would mean a rate of about 71 homicides per 100,000 people. To compare that number with some other notoriously bloody cities, the rate for Gary, Ind., was 48.3 and Detroit's was 47.1.



SkitzoLeezra here:

After returning to my hometown, my friends laugh when I tell them that it took 2 years before I felt comfortable enough to NOT lock my front door behind me each time I brought a load of groceries into the house.


While living in the City Park neighborhood of New Orleans, a relatively safe area, I became accustomed to bringing in groceries and locking the front door AND car between each trip back to the car. It's called street smarts, my friend.


Forget to take out the trash the night before pick up day? From a partially ajar front door, toss the garbage bag as far as you can before slamming and locking the door.


Don't even think of dating a drug dealer. He may have a slick ride and ready cash, but you might just wake up dead. Oh, abstain from drug use so you can avoid the dealers and their neighborhoods.


In New Orleans ,you get used to the constant threat of crime. Ah, it makes you feel more alive!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails